Sunday, March 18, 2012

NCAA Tourney Picks- Sunday

Tough day NCAA wise- Vandy could not get it going yesterday and Marquette/Murray St ran up and down the floor yesterday but missed countless layups...not that I am bitter.

At least Gonzaga hung on and I got a nice NBA win.

5 Star Pick

North Carolina -8.5 vs Creighton

Top Picks

Lehigh +4 vs Xavier
Purdue +8 vs Kansas

North Carolina- If you have read some of my NCAA posts then you have seen that I a fan of the Missouri Valley conference and pay pretty close attention those teams. I'd like to explain how Creighton will pull the upset but I think they are clearly outclassed in this one. UNC has an advantage or is even at every position and has a much deeper bench. 8.5 points might seem like a lot but I expect UNC to establish a double digit lead pretty quickly and then to be able to stretch it out as the game progresses.

Lehigh- The natural inclination is to say that Lehigh is a 15 seed and they will come back to earth in this one. However, I along with selection committee have no idea how good Lehigh really is and they should have been much higher than a 15 seed. If they had been seeded higher, let's say a 6 or 7 seed then we would not be writing them off in this one. Xavier is a good team but giving 4 points is a bit too much in my thinking here when  Lehigh legitimately can win this one straight up.

Purdue- This is kind of a scary pick but Purdue is a pretty battle tested and underrated team. The Big Ten has shown well and Purdue did well in league play. Kansas has a lot of weapons but I think they will get drawn into a physical game (which they can handle) but it won't lend it self to getting a double digit win. I don't see Purdue winning but I like them to keep it close, put a scare into Kansas and get the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment